Saturday, August 25, 2018

First Day of School!

We had a GREAT first day of school yesterday.

Backing up a little, Thursday night we had our First Annual Back to School Feast. Now, if you're thinking this means I roasted a turkey and cut vegetables and fruit into school-themed shapes, then you must not know me at all. In this case, "feast" meant that Chet and I had leftovers, and everyone else was served something they really like to eat. Sydney: shrimp cocktail; Lorelei: chicken noodle soup; Ford: pizza Lunchable (insert eye roll). (I can't remember what Ruthie ate.) For dessert we had mini cupcakes that I bought from the grocery store bakery.

Why am I telling you this? Lately (for the past year, at least) I've felt like we (I) needed to be better about celebrating life in general. Celebrating doesn't come naturally to me; I'm happy to let events roll on by without any fuss. I forget that it doesn't take much to make things memorable for children, and I want our children to have fond memories of their childhood. Hence the Back to School Feast. We probably won't have the same menu every year (ha!); I may decide to get fancier in the future than I did this year, but nonetheless it will be something for us to look forward to and back on.

In addition to dinner and dessert, we wrote a short note (two sentences) to Sydney, Lorelei, and Ford, along the lines of "Welcome to 3rd grade! You're going to do great!" We bought each of them an inexpensive book that I wrapped (including a bow -- I almost forewent the bow, but dug deep and decided the tiny bit of extra effort was worth it!), and you would have thought it was Christmas Day.
(Check out Sydney's overalls.)

Like I said, the first day of school yesterday was a success. One of the moms in our group is a photographer, which is great for me, because I didn't have to try to get a good picture of everyone before leaving the house:






Happy weekend, friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of the first school day!

Shannon said...

Love the pics! Gosh, Sydney is getting so tall! they are all adorable!