Monday, August 27, 2018

Sunday Evening Choir

On Sunday evenings Sydney goes to youth choir at our church. Grades Kindergarten through 6th will meet every week (yesterday was the 2nd meeting) to practice for a Christmas show that they'll perform in December.

At first Chet and I weren't sure we wanted to add something to our schedule, even though we're not normally busy Sunday evenings. So we decided to ask Sydney and Lorelei if it sounded like fun, and to make our decision based on their reactions. Well, Sydney was ALL IN. But Lorelei looked as if we'd asked her to eat slugs. Since our church is only about a 15-minute drive from our house, and we're allowed to drop her off each week for the 2-hour practice, we decided it would be fine for just Sydney to attend choir each Sunday evening.

Anyway, there are periodic spirit competitions at choir practice, and yesterday was crazy hair/hat day. Sydney's hair is pretty short, so she made a crazy hat for herself. (True or False: I LOVE spirit competitions and am eager to help my children come up with outfits or creations that will "wow" anyone in their vicinity. If you answered "True," you're VERY wrong, and we clearly need to get to know one another better. That being said, Sydney was totally on her own in making her own crazy hat. Thankfully, she's used to this, and is LOADS more creative than I'll ever be, so it wasn't even an issue.)

I dropped Sydney off last night at 5:30 p.m., and she begged me to bring Lorelei with me when I picked her up so that we could continue listening to "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" on our drive home. (I HIGHLY recommend the HP audiobooks read by Jim Dale -- even if you've read all the books before!) Our audiobook rental (?) from the library expires in a couple of days, and she wants us to finish it so that she doesn't have to listen to me read the actual book in voices MUCH less exciting than Jim Dale's.

I had to snap a picture of Lorelei in her new pink shirt before walking into the church to get Sydney. She's been in a tomboy phase for about year now, so any time she expresses interest in something more feminine I buy it for her right away (HA!).
She paired the pink shirt with her green soccer shorts and camouflage Crocs in order to maintain a balanced look.

We went into the church to pick up Sydney, and lo and behold, her homemade hat won the spirit competition. She definitely would have lost if I'd helped her.

Hope your weekend was as fashionable as Sydney's and Lorelei's!

No comments: