Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Day #1: Packers

At the risk of confusing everyone, today (Tuesday) is "Day #2: Packers." But since yesterday has already happened and today is still happening, I'll tell you how it went yesterday.

A team of three people arrived at 8:30 a.m. Two women and one man. The two women were the same ones who packed our house in 2014 when we moved from Gulfport, MS to Alexandria, VA, so that was surprising (and slightly startling).

The man started packing in the garage, and the women (who are sisters -- a fact I find adorable) started boxing up everything downstairs. Which was good, because I had things I still needed to gather and organize in the upstairs bedrooms.

The man finished the garage and the women finished the downstairs, and they even packed up Sydney's room, all before 5 p.m. yesterday. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED. The two women (the man is on another job today) will easily finish the rest of the house before the day is over.

I repeat: THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED. The past several moves have required three days to pack our house; any time only two days were allotted were STRESSFUL. This means that tomorrow, Wednesday, we have all day to tidy and pack the things the movers can't pack for us. Hallelujah.

Here is a picture from Saturday, when Chet was in the middle of painting our Navy blue wall back to white and patching the bathroom wall where we had put peel and stick wallpaper:


It was a bit chaotic, the BEST word to describe all moves, everywhere.

I am an organized person. However, I do not consider myself an organized mover. For example, there were some things we needed to set aside to take with us, instead of going into moving boxes. Such as a spatula, the microwave, and cat food -- but I forgot, so those things are taped up in one of the boxes. Oh, well. There are SO many details to remember when moving that is impossible to get everything right. 

Also, I do not wish to become an organized mover, even though we have to do it fairly often. It feels like it requires too much brain power and takes too much effort to become a moving expert -- so I choose not to. Expert or not, moves always start and finish, and then they're over. I'll spend my brainpower and time being ultra organized in other ways.

No comments: