Friday, September 11, 2020

Our Day

As it is for most Americans currently over the age of 30, September 11th is a somber day.

Here's what we did today: 

While I was fixing breakfast I heard "Taps" playing over the loud speakers on base. It was 7:46 a.m. (CST), 8:46 a.m. (EST), the time of the attacks 19 years ago.

The kids and I watched this video about 9/11. We talked about where I was when they occurred (taking a test at school).

Then I explained "no taxation without representation" to them using chocolate chips, follow by this little show about the Boston Tea Party.

Then I read the book Manners to them, followed by the book 14 Cows for America, which offers an interesting (in a good way!) viewpoint of 9/11.

I still needed to get ready for the day, so the kids watched the first half of the movie "Pocahontas" while I showered. We ARE studying American history this year, after all!

We visited the library where the kids like to browse, then swung by the other library which is part of our county's system. I often place books on hold via the computer at this library and then swing through the "drive thru" to pick them up.

During lunch I read them a few more books: The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, We Will Rock Our Classmates, and Hotel Bruce.

It was too late to put Ruthie down for a nap, so I put her in my bed and she watched the movie "Angry Birds 2." Sydney, Lorelei, and Ford had piano lessons via Skype.

Sydney's piano lesson was last, so before that (while Lorelei and Ford were having their Skype lessons) she wrote the rough draft of her weekly writing assignment.

Finally the kids and I watched a DVD version of the picture book Fireboat (also about 9/11). (Neither library had the actual picture book.)

Chet came home from work and we had Papa John's deliver a pizza (actually, three of them). Sydney and I went for a post-dinner walk around the neighborhood, which was VERY quiet, especially for a Friday evening.

Now we are getting ready for bed. It's nearly unfathomable that next year will be the 20th anniversary.

God bless America.

No comments: