Sunday, December 23, 2018

Sydney

Firstborns are special. They have to be tough, because their parents have absolutely no idea how to raise children and are just winging it each and every minute of the day.

According to the website "How Does She," here are typical characteristics of firstborn children:

  • Reliable
  • Conscientious
  • Structured
  • Cautious
  • Controlling (sometimes seen as bossy)
  • Achievers
  • Want to excel at everything
  • Bask in parent's attention

Well. It's as though the author studied my life before writing this article. Which makes me EXTREMELY reliable (and boring), because I am a textbook firstborn.

Before I go on, let me say that I LOVE things like studies of birth order, personality types, the Enneagram...anything that examines and categorizes human nature in a way that (hopefully) helps us to better understand one another (and ourselves). I believe God created us as unique individuals, but also as individuals who are similar to and can identify with many other people during our time earth.

That being said, the Lord knew I needed a different kind of firstborn. One that doesn't fit perfectly into the typical firstborn "box," and who is not even close to my carbon copy (hallelujah). He gave me one who's SUPER fun (I am not), VERY creative (I am not), and who isn't concerned about life's minutiae (I am). Funny how that works out.

Sydney's a daily reminder that we are created a certain way on purpose (not according to a blueprint), and that there is always, ALWAYS room to improve and grow. Because of her I plan fun activities, buy things like pipe cleaners and glitter and craft glue on the regular, and try not to get bogged down in details such as beds that aren't perfectly made (actually, I still do that sometimes). She's my favorite, and best, firstborn.


No comments: