Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Halloween (quick post)

This post will be quick, because the eggs are almost finished boiling on the stove and I need to go get Sydney out of her crib (she's SO good about just hanging out in her crib in the mornings until we come get her...so, yes, I take advantage of it!).

Halloween was...lame.  Chet was in Djibouti for Syd's first Halloween last year, and was gone again this year (even though she's still too young to understand what's going on...and she doesn't eat candy, so what's the point?).  Anyway, my mom and I had taken Lorelei to her two-week well-baby appointment earlier that day (more on that later).  We dropped Syd off at the Child Development Center for the day so she wouldn't have to endure the trip to the hospital, but she only took a 30-minute nap at the Center...so she was a beast when we picked her up.  The trick-or-treaters started ringing the doorbell at 5:00 p.m. on the dot (right after we got home from the hospital and picking up Syd), and we hadn't even opened the bags of candy or put Syd in her costume (in fact, her costume was still damp in the dryer).  So my mom and I took turns running to the door every time it rang, while the other person fed Lorelei (me), firmly told Sydney to "Sit down!" on the couch, prepared dinner, and readied Sydney's costume.  Also, I wasn't feeling well (more on that later too), and all the running around and stress made it even worse.  Finally, there was a window of time where Lorelei had just eaten and I could take Sydney trick or treating.  We probably only went to five houses.  She was more interested in the bucket she was carrying (I didn't realize until we were in the midst of chaos that her monogrammed trick-or-treat bag was packed away in a box in her closet...no way was I going to dig that out), and then taking the candy she received in and out of the bucket.  It's just not fun to trick or treat when you (the parent) don't feel well, the other parent is absent, and the trick-or-treater has no clue what is happening.  My mom finally texted me saying that Lorelei was hungry...an excuse to go home and put an end to Halloween!  (At this point it was only about 6:30 p.m.  There had been a lull in trick-or-treaters, but then they started ringing the doorbell again around 7:00 p.m.  I ignored them, which left us with way too much leftover Halloween candy.  Yummy, but bad.)

Here is the one good picture I got of Sydney in her Halloween costume (as well as her picture from last year...yes, she was a Navy cheerleader two years in a row).  I didn't get a picture of Lorelei in her Halloween outfit (no costume for her this year).  If I had been more prepared, I would have taken a really cute picture of all three of us, monogrammed trick-or-treat bags and all, but I simply didn't have my act together.  Perhaps we'll skip Halloween altogether next year.  Then I don't have to buy overpriced candy beforehand, and can buy loads of clearance candy November 1st...

Halloween 2010

Halloween 2011

1 comment:

Casey said...

Your post made me tired!!! Halloween isn't my favorite either.... especially with a new baby!