Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Our Tuesdays

I won't go into detail about our morning routine, since I covered that yesterday.

For the breakfast the kids ate oatmeal, bacon, and strawberries.  Only Sydney goes to school on Tuesdays, and my next-door-neighbor usually drives her to school (along with her own daughter), but the other little girl was sick, so I did all of the driving on this particular Tuesday.

As soon as we dropped Sydney off at 9:30 a.m., Lorelei, Ford, and I headed to the commissary (the grocery store on base).  This is what we do 95% of Tuesday mornings: major grocery shopping at the commissary.  I used to go to the commissary on weekends, sans kids, but that took up too much precious weekend time, and I've found that the more you practice something (grocery shopping with kids), the easier it becomes.  Or, at least, the more used to it you become.

Since I bought a ridiculous amount of stuff at Costco on Sunday, the commissary trip was lighter than usual.  Lorelei and Ford are pretty good little helpers, although they've come to believe that commissary time is snack time, and immediately start demanding politely asking for snacks the moment we walk through the doors.  And Bubby still needs help with most snacks, so there's  a lot of starting and stopping and holding up traffic in the aisles.  Thankfully, Tuesday mornings are not too busy at the commissary, so we only get three dirty looks per trip, on average.

We returned home by 11:00 a.m., which is earlier than usual, so I was able to unload the groceries, put them away, and feed Lorelei and Bubby lunch before going to get Syd.

Lorelei's lunch: scrambled eggs (her request, after she saw I was making hard-boiled eggs and didn't want to partake), black olives, popcorn, and blueberries.  We bought a pint of blueberries at the commissary just an hour earlier, and they were going to turn sooner than the strawberries, so we all loaded up on blueberries yesterday.

We picked up Sydney at 12:30 p.m., I put Lorelei and Ford down for naps, and then Syd had lunch: "wet pepperoni" (which means regular, greasy pepperoni, as opposed to healthier, dry turkey pepperoni), a "bar" (Nutrigrain bar), popcorn, and blueberries.

While Sydney was having rest time, and the younger two were still napping, Chet called and told me that we were chosen (via lottery) for this year's White House Easter Egg Roll -- can you say woo hoo?!  I'm super excited -- it's the day after Easter.

Besides taking Chet's call, I also worked on my Bible study and caught up some paperwork while the kids rested.  For the rest of the afternoon, until dinner, we just hung out.  It's been so damp outside lately, it chills me to the bone, so no fresh air for us until things dry out and warm up a little (apparently I'm a wimp who hasn't heard of jackets).

Easy dinner last night: commissary rotisserie chicken, macaroni and cheese, salad, corn on the cob, and-- you guess it -- blueberries.

I cleaned the kitchen and put in a load of laundry while Chet took the kids upstairs and bathed them.  They were all just playing in the girls' room, cheering on Bubby while they tried to get him to walk.  I could tell that he was doing better than usual (his usual being two steps before falling), and finally I went upstairs too.  They were very excited to show me his new tricks, but apparently his chubby little legs had already turned to jelly, and he could only manage four steps by the time I got up there.

After the kids went to bed we watched an episode of "Grey's Anatomy," then went to bed ourselves.

Did you have a good Tuesday (even though you're probably reading this on Thursday)?

No comments: