Thursday, March 5, 2015

Snowy Day/1 Year Ago/Reading Update

It's a snowy day here.  School and work were both cancelled, and we've been watching the snow fall (constantly, and quite heavily) outside our windows since 8 a.m.  It's truly beautiful, but I would love if it were the last snowfall of the season.

I can't confirm for sure if it was exactly one year ago, but I seem to remember that last year on March 5th, Papa Greg's birthday (happy birthday, Papa Greg!), I was standing in our 5' x 5' kitchen, waiting for the movers to arrive to unload all of our junk belongings from the moving van.  I was really glad that we were finally all together as a family in our new home (not really new -- it was built in 1939), after getting delayed in Atlanta for a few days with Baby Ford.  I was thinking about the fact that Ford was 2-months old (happy 14-months, Bubby!), and wondering how on earth how Chet and I were going to handle getting moved in and unpacked with three kids underfoot (rest assured, it wasn't easy).  There was snow a year ago too; the movers tromped through it while unloading the moving van.

A year later, same weather, but seemingly totally different life.  Things are just so different (easier) after you've had a year to settle in, and you no longer have a newborn on your hands (or 300 cardboard boxes, filled with who knows what).


Now, a reading update.  Falling into the category "a book recommended by someone with great taste" is Cinder by Marissa Meyer.  It was recommended by the author of the blog Modern Mrs. Darcy (and creator of the 2015 Reading Challenge), and I was truthfully skeptical.  It's a Young Adult novel (not an issue for me though -- I'm not above reading YA), and falls into the Fantasty/Sci-Fi genre, which is what made me the most skeptical.  But I decided to give it a go, because I think Modern Mrs. Darcy has great taste.  It was an enjoyable book -- easy to read, but well written, and very clever.  I'm currently reading the second book in the series, Scarlet.  I'll probably take a break from the series after I finish this one though.  I like the books, but I don't love, love, love them.

I finally finished the Harry Potter series, therefore Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows falls into the category of "a book you've been meaning to read."  Considering it took me 11 years to read the entire series, I think it's a title well earned.  I keep a list, which I started in May 2003, of all the books I finish.  I searched the document for "Harry Potter": I finished the first book in the series January 3, 2004.  I was appalled to discover that I read the 6th book twice: the two finish dates were 8/11/11 and 9/24/14.  Obviously 9/24/14 was fairly recently, but I had no recollection of reading the book before then.  Embarrassing.

My cousin Laura gave me some recommendations, one of which was Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (this book has also been recommended by Modern Mrs. Darcy).  I decided just to go ahead and read it already, and it was amazing.  Read it!  Thank you, Laura!

I've tentatively chosen some titles for a couple of the other categories of the reading challenge:
--Matilda by Roald Dahl ("a book from your childhood")
--The Help by ("a book 'everyone' has read but you")

What do you, my readers, recommend for "a book you should have read in high school?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ford always seems to be smiling, no matter what age he is!