Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chet in Africa

Hi, everyone! Chet made it safely to Djibouti (pronounced "ja-BOOTY"), Africa. I dropped him off at the airport Thursday evening (July 1st), and he hopped a commercial flight to Newark, then to Paris (where he had a 12-hour layover), then to Djibouti. He arrived Saturday morning, and was exhausted, but glad to finally begin his 6-month tour. We both believe this will be very good for his career. We were able to talk via Skype while he was in the Paris airport, and we've talked on the phone every day (sometimes twice a day) since he's arrived. The lines of communication are SO MUCH BETTER than when we were both on our ships, and for that we are thankful.

Daddy and Sydney (the morning of the day Chet departed)

Since Chet's been gone, Sydney and I have gone on lots of walks in the jogging stroller (well, I walk...Sydney just sits back and enjoys the ride). On Sunday we went to church, then to a friend's house for a 4th of July gathering. There were five women there (including me), and all of our husbands (except for one) were on deployment. And we each had a baby!
I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend. I have lots of older news to post, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Casey said...

that pic of Chet holding Syd before he left almost made me cry! I couldn't imagine 6 months alone!! You are such a brave/tough girl ash!! Oh, and I love the picture of the middle girl holding the baby monitor!! Cute!

Danielle said...

Wow, strong women, you all are! I get teary eyed thinking about being husband-less for that long, but it looks like you've got a great group of ladies for support!