Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Adventures in Babyland

Eek, 10 days since my last post!

Today was Lorelei's 2-month well-baby appointment, but I need to lead up to it...

This morning was a typical one.  Lorelei's appointment wasn't until 2:00 p.m., so I had plenty of time to get all of us ready and Sydney to the CDC by 10:30 a.m.  (I do everything in my power not to take Sydney to the hospital for appointments that are not her own.  This usually means drop-in care at the base's Child Development Center.  The rule is that she has to be dropped off before 10:30 a.m., or after 1:30 p.m., so as not to interfere with the CDC's lunch/nap time routine.  Makes sense.)  Anyway, we were doing fine, but 10:00 a.m. rolled around and I knew I needed to start moving with a sense of purpose.  The only things left to do were change Lorelei's diaper and finish getting her dressed.  She had been sitting in her swing until this point, so I transferred her from the swing to the changing table...and smelled poop.  No big deal.  Then I FELT poop (wetness, as I started to remove her onesie).  Okay, still no big deal.  A little leaked out the side.  All I needed to do was change her onesie.  But I needed to go upstairs to get a new one from her closet, and different socks, because the socks I HAD picked out were pink, and the new outfit I was envisioning for her was red, and EVERYONE (except Chet) knows that pink and red clash (except on Valentine's Day) and OH MYLANTA!  Why was the entire back side of her onesie wet?!?!  What the--  Oh no.  Her previously white swing had changed to the color of baby poop.  And every mom knows that poopy things need to be washed ASAP.  Especially borrowed things, like swings.  (Don't worry, Amy.  If you're reading this, your swing is as good as new!)  But it was 10:15 by this point, and it takes just under 10 minutes to get to the CDC.  And I still had to put Sydney's socks and shoes on her and load everyone in the car (in addition to dealing with the poop bomb).  And that's exactly what it was: a poop bomb.  Unlike one I'd ever seen.  Like lightening, I cleaned up the mess (but left the poopy swing), wrestled Lorelei into her Baby Gap skinny jeans (seriously, Ashley?) and threw on a pajama top that was nearby.  She went sockless and shoeless into her car seat.  I loaded everyone in the car (I left my diaper bag, wallet, and phone at home) and we arrived at the CDC with five minutes to spare.  Whew!  Because if you are even ONE MINUTE  late you WILL get the stink eye.

Did I mention that when I was taking Lorelei's car seat out of the car at the CDC, I noticed one of her bare feet had poop on it?  Sheesh. 

To be continued...  Oh, wait.  Lorelei weighs 10 lbs, 12 oz.  I have no idea how "long" she is; I forgot to ask.  But she's just under the 50th percentile in height, weight, and head circumference.  Details to follow.

1 comment:

Casey said...

you have me laughing!! I can just picture you running around like superwoman with poo everywhere!! Red and Pink DO NOT Clash! Baby Gap Skinny Jeans? OMG that is hilarious!! Still laughing!!