Monday, April 23, 2018

Monday, Monday

Good Monday morning!

Let's see, last time I posted was two Wednesdays ago, about Ford. As far as his skin, he's being treated for a common virus in children called Molluscum contagiosum. Many children get it and it's a non-event because it's so mild. But in some cases it itches and starts to spread, which is what happened to Ford. The topical steroid his doctor prescribed him has worked wonders, but I need to take him in for a follow-up appointment this week to see what, if anything, is next for him.

On Friday the 13th, I left the house really early and drove to Los Angeles to catch a nonstop flight to Baltimore. My dear friend Paige was getting baptized, and she asked me back in January if I could be there for the event (of course I could!). She goes to a small church in Annapolis, so she and I were able to come up with a date that worked for both of our families, and voila!

We live closest to the Fresno airport (about 50 minutes south of it), but other California airports offer so many more flight options (it's about a 3.5-hour drive from our house to LAX). Especially if you want to fly Southwest, which offers nonstop flights across the country, which is what I took. It was glorious to sit on a plane for 5 hours BY MYSELF with no one I had to talk to, or correct, or feed a snack. I finished two books over the course of the weekend.

Besides the baptism on Sunday, Paige and I were able to meet our friend Sarah (who we were stationed with in Mississippi) for lunch on Saturday, and do some kid-free shopping.

We went out to dinner Sunday night in downtown Annapolis with people from her church and had the loveliest time. I was back at the airport early Monday morning and walking through the door at home by 4:30 p.m.

Even though I had a lovely weekend away, I was STILL sick. I mentioned a couple of posts ago that the week after spring break I had a fever. The week following that (the week leading up to my trip), I became really congested and started coughing a lot (much like what Chet had been dealing with himself for 3-4 weeks). I thought I was feeling a little better towards the end of that week, but my sickness had a resurgence while I was out of town. I was the gross, coughing person on the airplane; I probably should have worn a mask.

I continued to cough at home Tuesday, the day after my trip ended, but really started to feel better by Wednesday. However, all the coughing caused me to bruise a rib on my right side, and since Thursday I've been gingerly walking around, having trouble drawing deep breaths without pain. It's starting to hurt less, but, for example, I just had a short coughing/sneezing fit and had to hunch over to the right in order to brace myself for the pain in my rib. Apparently I'm trapped in a 95-year old body.

All this sickness and pain means it's been THREE WEEKS since I've been able to go running. My marathon is in 13 days. So...yikes. It's difficult to be patient as I heal. But thankfully Ruthie can still run:
Like I said on Instagram, she's ready for a job in the big city (ANY big city) in her day dress and sneakers. And how on earth did Chet and I have a red-headed child with curly hair?!

Happy Monday, friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The little Irish girl looks like a fast runner!

Ashley Wyckoff said...

HAHA! The little Irish girl IS a fast runner!