Tuesday, June 5, 2018

January Reading

I read lots of books, and my secret is to have several going at once (I know that drives some people crazy though), including an audiobook. I also usually have a novel and an audiobook going with Sydney and Lorelei (usually books I never got around to reading as a youngster).

Since the year is nearly half over and I haven't shared anything about what I've read yet, I'll start with January, and maybe post about books once a week until I catch up. We'll see!

Gunpowder Green (Tea Shop Mysteries Book 2) by Laura Childs -- My next-door neighbor recommended this cozy mystery series, and they're VERY enjoyable! A good palate cleanser between books.

Talking as Fast as I Can (From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything In Between)) (audiobook) by Lauren Graham -- Clearly I love "Gilmore Girls" since I have a daughter named Lorelei, and listening to Lauren Graham read this made an entertaining book even better.

Year of No Sugar: A Memoir by Eve Schaub -- I LOVE sweets. But I gave up sugar (well, sweets/desserts) at the beginning of the year, mostly to help with my marathon training. I haven't been able to stop thinking about this memoir though; it's very well written, and funny (and informative, but not so informative I feel like I'm reading a medical journal).

Veronica Mars: Mr. Kiss and Tell by Rob Thomas -- I loved the "Veronica Mars" series (I watched it only a couple of years ago, long after it actually aired on TV). The show's creator, Rob Thomas, wrote two novels that followed the show, and they were great (if you're a fan of the show already). This is book two.

Scrappy Little Nobody (audiobook) by Anna Kendrick -- Apparently 2018 is the year of the celebrity memoir for me. I liked the movie "Pitch Perfect" (I only saw the first one), but beyond that I don't know much about Anna Kendrick. It was interesting to hear the book read by the author, but I'm not necessarily a bigger fan of hers than I was before.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (audiobook) by E. L. Konigsburg -- I listened to this 50-year old Newbery Medal winner with Sydney and Lorelei. I'm a HUGE fan of children's books that take place before Sydney and Lorelei were born, because it sparks lots of questions about things like "phone booths."

Year of No Clutter: A Memoir by Eve Schaub -- This is the second memoir of Eve Schaub, who wrote the aforementioned "Year of No Sugar." I liked this book even better. It's not a manual on how to be a minimalist; it's about Eve grappling with her hoarding tendencies, specifically in the form of a "hell room" in her own home. I highly recommend it (like her other book, it's well-written, funny, and informative).

That's it for January. Happy reading!

No comments: