Wednesday, February 24, 2010

4 Weeks and Doctor Appointment

Today Sydney is four weeks old (she's holding up "4" in the picture!), and we took her to another doctor appointment to check her bilirubin level. I was confident before going in, because her little body is starting to look more pink (and pale!) to me, but her face is definitely still yellow (although the doctor said last week that her face and eyes will be the last thing to turn un-yellow). However, after taking her bilirubin level subcutaneously (with a little hot glue gun-looking device applied to her forehead), the doctor said they needed to draw more blood. This time, instead of pricking and "milking" her heel for blood, they took it from her poor little arm! As horrible as this was, it was a lot faster than taking the blood from her heel. Thank goodness Chet was there...he was the one who helped hold her down, while I sat on the other side of the room and cried. After that, we waited around for her blood results, and her bilirubin level was a little higher than last week (not good). Thankfully the rest of her blood results were perfectly normal, so the doctor thinks her bilirubin level is still elevated because of my breast milk (which is okay, it's just important that we know the reason). So...in order to rule out any other issues, we're feeding Sydney formula for the next two days, and we'll go back to the doctor Friday to check her bilirubin level. If it's much lower, my breast milk is the culprit, and all will be well (and she'll be able to start drinking it again immediately). If not...I'm not sure. We'll just have to see. By the way, she weighed 7 lbs, 8.2 oz today, which means she gained 3 oz this week (compared to a whopping 10 oz last week!). She's only in the 10th percentile size-wise, but the doctor says those numbers don't matter as long as she grows continuously and proportionally.

Pre-Doctor Cuteness

Doctor's Office

4 comments:

Casey said...

oh poor baby! I'm sorry to hear she is still yellow!! I hope after feeding her formula for 2 days that she doesn't reject your breast milk! Pump a lot too, to keep your supply going! I am so anxious to meet this little girl and see you again!! She is so precious!!! How is she sleeping?

Danielle said...

I'm so sorry you're having to get her poked so much! I totally know how you feel! I cried, too! (Now, Aubrey just gives the nurses a dirty look when they give her shots...no crying anymore, yay!) Hopefully it all gets straightened out soon! She's a doll! And so tiny! I miss those days already!

Jill Shaver said...

I'm wondering why they haven't prescribed a biliblanket for her for you to use at home? I'm sure she'll do great and there will be no more pokes soon!

Anonymous said...

She is such a cute little bundle of love....love the pictures!! Sorry to hear she has been "yellow"...hopefully by now that has all been figured out....lots of love...xoxo
Aunt Shannon