Friday, June 6, 2014

Whole Foods

(Has it already been over a week since my last post? I blame our computer, which lately has decided it's too much effort to stay turned on. I started a post on my phone, but forgot to save it, so...)

Do you shop at Whole Foods? I did today.

I did not fully appreciate a good grocery store until we moved to south Mississippi. In Jacksonville (FL) we had Publix, which, again, I did not fully appreciate until I realized grocery stores like Publix do not exist everywhere. I'm sure there was a Whole Foods in Jacksonville, but Fresh Market (basically the same as Whole Foods) was closer to where we lived. In Mississippi, the closest Whole Foods was 80 miles away, in New Orleans. I actually made the trip once, with a girlfriend, because our husbands were deployed and we needed to get out of town for a few hours (our kids did not accompany us).

I just read what I wrote, and it sounds like Whole Foods/Fresh Market-type stores are what I prefer when I grocery shop. THEY ARE NOT. I cook most of our meals at home, but they are pretty simple (because I would rather not spend the majority of my time in the kitchen) and we are just not super picky about organic food, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I like Whole Foods because they have gorgeous fresh flowers, beautiful produce, heavenly salad and olive bars, and exorbitant prices that make me gawk. 

Tangent: Syd is out of school, but her school/our church (they are one in the same) holds "camp" every week of the summer. Syd and Lor went this week, so I have had 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. to myself (and Ford). I have used this time to explore the area and/or schedule errands that are hard to accomplish with more than one child in tow. Hence the reason I went to Whole Foods today. It was more of an adventure than a grocery shopping trip.

Anyway, the store is in a pretty posh part of town, but thankfully I wore a flowy skirt and cardigan today, and carried ("wore") Ford in an ergonomic (whatever that means) baby carrier, so I fit right in. You couldn't see Ford's super absorbent, bad-for-the-environment disposable diaper, and no one heard me call him "Bubby," otherwise we might have been asked to leave. (Kidding, of course. It's just that I am fascinated by stereotypes.)

I bought an organic dark chocolate raspberry mocha (nonfat, but not decaf) to sip on while we walked around. I contemplated buying several items that are not available in regular grocery stores, but mostly refrained. We did buy a few staples that I thought were reasonably priced (sour cream, Greek yogurt, bananas), and some baby sunscreen (Badger brand) that was on sale and that I had been meaning to order from Amazon anyway.

So...I guess that's all I have to say about Whole Foods? I really should have taken a picture of the bell peppers, they were beautiful. But such a touristy action would have blown my hippie mama cover.

No comments: