Friday, June 24, 2016

Books and TGIF

Because I know you're all dying to know, I finished last year's reading challenge, and now I'm going to give you the final update (because what else could you possibly want to read on a Friday evening/over the weekend?).  I'm also going to let you know what I've been reading this year, just in case you're interested.

I'm pretty sure this is the last thing I posted about the 2015 reading challenge.  I'm going to give an extremely detailed and scientific review/recommendation by using one of three words:  "YES," "MEH," or "NO."  (The Amazon book review department will probably contact me after they read this post and beg me to work for them.)

1. a book you've been meaning to read -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (YES)
2. a book published this year -- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (YES)
3. a book in a genre you don't typically read -- 41: A Portrait of My Father by George W. Bush (YES)
4. a book from your childhood -- Matilda by Roald Dahl (YES)
5. a book your mom loves -- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (YES)
6. a book that was originally written in a different language -- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (NO)
7. a book "everyone" has read but you -- The Help by Kathryn Stockett (YES)
8. a book you chose because of the cover -- The Fever by Megan Abbott (MEH)
9. a book by a favorite author -- Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler (YES)
10. a book recommended by someone with great taste -- Cinder by Marissa Meyer (MEH)
11. a book you should have read in high school -- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (YES -- although it was SUPER depressing)
12. a book that's currently on the bestseller list -- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (YES)

Here's this year's reading list (I'm not doing the official challenge this year):

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon -- I HIGHLY recommend this series, even though this first book is quite racy.
Evening Class by Maeve Binchy -- I love anything by Maeve Binchy.
11/22/63 by Stephen King -- This was so fascinating; so far I have only read "normal" Stephen King novels, because I'm too chicken to read anything scarier.
Tricky Twenty-Two by Janet Evanovich -- This series is my guilty pleasure.
A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie -- A good, but not AMAZING series (this is the first book).  I like the main characters.
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon -- This is Book 2 in the Outlander series.
Awakening by Tracy Higley -- Meh.
Coming Clean by Kimerbly Rae Miller -- This is a super interesting memoir written by the daughter of two hoarders.
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer -- This jumped back and forth between horrifying and boring (in my humble opinion).
All Shall Be Well by Deborah Crombie -- This is Book 2 after A Share in Death.
Missoula by Jon Krakauer -- This was good, but hard to read at times (because of the candid language and vivid visuals).
Voyager by Diane Gabaldon -- This is Book 3 in the Outlander series, and probably my favorite so far.
Candle in the Darkness (Refiner's Fire Book #1) by Lynn Austin -- I enjoyed this, but it probably could have been 200 pages shorter.
Leave the Grave Green by Deborah Crombie -- This is Book 3.
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith -- I've always heard of this and finally got around to reading it.  It was nothing short of delightful.
The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza -- This was enjoyable in a mindless way.
Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova -- This is the same author who wrote Still Alice (which I haven't read yet).

And in case you care nothing of these lists (it's fine if you don't!), here are some pictures:

After Saturday morning ballet:

Chet built me a frame!

Sydney strikes again:

We ate Father's Day dinner Saturday night (with the rest of Austin) at our current favorite Mexican food restaurant:

...followed by Toys 'r' Us (thanks for the great backdrop, Toy 'r' Us!).

We spent Sunday evening at Didi's house in New Braunfels:

Current family favorite:

Baby burrito:

Overstimulation:

TGIF/happy weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the look on Ruthie's face in the black and white photo!

Anonymous said...

Love your book reviews! And with as organized and tidy as you are, I bet he hoarding book was probably a hard read - LOL And you put me to shame....you do a lot of reading with having 4 kids - good for you!
love the pics of the kids....Ruthie is getting so big! I bet she is entertained easily by
just watching the 3 older kids, huh? They are all just precious!
Love to all xoxo
Aunt Shannon