Friday, August 10, 2012


We had one of those mornings where I felt like everything was out of sync.  Lorelei woke up just before 5:00 a.m. to nurse, so of course I was tired when my alarm went of at 6:00 a.m.  I pressed snooze (as usual...Chet loves that), but at some point I must have acknowledged the alarm, because Lorelei woke me up squawking and it was 7:15 a.m.  Well...  Obviously my body needed the sleep, but it put me in a little bit of a tailspin.

We got dressed to go to the to the gym, and were ready to walk out the door a little after 9:00 a.m.  Lorelei was just starting to act cranky, so she might have gone down for a nap had I tried, but I was itching to get out of the house (and she might not have napped anyway).  So I loaded them up in the car. 

I had already decided that today was a good day for a donut, so I was hoping Lorelei would fall asleep in the car on the way to the gym.  If she did fall asleep, my plan was to stop at the donut shop first (they have a drive-thru window), drive to the library so I could return two overdue DVDs, and enjoy a donut with Sydney in the library parking lot, letting Lorelei sleep as long as possible before arriving at the gym.  The reason I was so hellbent on her having a nap is because sometimes she freaks out in the gym daycare when she is super tired, which cuts my workout short.  I did not want that. 

But here's what ended up happening: Lorelei was still not asleep by the time I reached the donut shop, so I bypassed it and drove straight to the library, jumped out of the car to put the DVDs in the outdoor drop box, drove slowly through the streets of Long Beach, Mississippi, thinking she would fall asleep at any second, which would still allow Sydney and me to swing through the donut shop and enjoy our pre-gym donut.  But the longer I drove around the more my plan unraveled, so I finally gave up and drove to the gym, praying that she would be happy enough to let me work out.

I was able to finish my workout (2+ miles on the treadmill...could have been better, could have been worse) without them tracking me down while holding my screaming child.  (Are you wondering why I go to the gym to run on the treadmill when I have a perfectly good double jogging stroller at home?  The reason is, I would certainly pass out from heat exhaustion if I ran outdoors between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.)  The Olympics was on television during my run, specifically men's 200-meter single canoe races.  Wow, it looked tiring.  In fact, I think I started breathing harder than usual during my run because it made me to tired to watch them.

I revised my donut plan (because a donut was still a must on this Friday) and drove to the donut shop after we left the gym.  We even went inside to eat our donut instead of going through the drive thru.  There was an older couple in there, and the man commented, "Wow, that's a chubby little guy" (talking about Lorelei).  His wife hissed at him, "That's a girl!  See, she's wearing pink and yellow!"  He said, "Okay, well she's chubby."  I agreed with him.  He wasn't being rude (although it sounds rude now that I type it out...poor Lorelei, I hope her baby thighs don't create a life-long complex).

We went home after the donut shop.  Chet was home for lunch, so he entertained Syd while I went upstairs to feed Lorelei and put her down for that nap she refused to take earlier.  By this time it was noon.

Syd went down for her nap at 1:15 p.m., at which point Lorelei woke up.  Sometimes I feel like all anyone does is nap around here!

Syd woke up at 3:00 p.m., and Lorelei went down for another nap (just 30 minutes, but see what I mean about someone always sleeping?!)  After Lorelei got up at 3:30 p.m., we left for the Discovery Center.  We arrived a couple of minutes after 4:00 p.m. (they close at 5:00 p.m.) so it was just enough time to play.  I got several (poor quality indoor iPhone) pictures of Syd, none of Lor.

Syd in the really cool climby thing.

Isn't it neat?!

Syd shaking her maracas in "Mexico."

Syd asked Chet, "What's that?"  Chet answered, "A tamale." 

Syd thought it was for brushing her hair.

Syd pretending to eat an empanada.

She loved putting it in her mouth for real when she thought we weren't looking (gross, right?).

She was hiding in the clothes cupboard.  Every time Chet opened the door she would SCREAM.  Yikes.

We headed home for dinner when the Discovery Center closed at 5:00 p.m.  Leftovers for dinner (woo hoo for me!).  After dinner my neighbor Amy and her daughter Maddy invited us out for a walk.  Syd and I left Chet and Lorelei at home.  Here are Sydney and Maddy at the playground.

This picture is blurry, but they had their hands over their hearts (sort of) while evening colors was playing.

At bath time, Sydney put this hat on Lorelei's head.  You're supposed to put it on the bathtub wall (it's sort of a paper doll set, but not paper).  I'm not sure Lorelei even noticed, ha!

Now they're in bed, and I'm still itching to watch that episode of "Army Wives"...

No comments: