Tuesday, August 7, 2012


Wow, it was really hard to make myself sit down and blog right now.  Chet and I just finished putting the girls to bed, cleaning up the kitchen from dinner, putting away the "play mess", and folding a load of whites that I would have gladly left sitting somewhere...but I seriously have nowhere to leave a pile of unfolded laundry.  Perhaps that's a good thing...

Tuesday is dance day.  Syd's dance class is at 1:00 p.m., and today was her third time to go, so by now we have a pretty good Tuesday routine down.

First of all, Lorelei woke up at 4:00 a.m. wanting to eat, so that made it much harder for me to get out of bed at 6:00 a.m.  I pressed snooze several times, and finally got out of bed around 6:30 a.m.  Sydney got up around 8:10 a.m., and Lorelei went down for a (very short) 30-minute nap around 9:00 a.m.  Tuesday mornings our only goals are to get Sydney ready for dance and Lorelei ready for the CDC, and to leave the house by 11:30 a.m.

Chet came home for lunch just before we left the house, and I captured this sweet shot.

Sydney and I dropped Lorelei off at the CDC, and then had to run back home for a copy of L's shot record (I kept forgetting to turn it in to the CDC).  Finally, we were on our way off base.  Last week, and again this week, I took Syd to a coffee shop near her dance school where we have a chance to just spend time together and have a snack/light lunch before class.  I change her into her dance clothes in the parking lot at the coffee house. 

I don't have much to report about dance class, because, like I said before, we are not allowed to watch.  I talked to another mother who used to take classes there herself when she was younger, and learned that we will not see ANYTHING until the May recital.  Eek!  Also, she told me this is the 50th anniversary of the dance school, so this year's recital should be pretty special.

Here is Syd, before class (she doesn't look happy, but she is...she's just tired of me always taking her picture).

Sydney usually goes down for a nap at 1:00 p.m.  Dance class starts at 1:00 p.m., so the ride home is always interesting.  She gets pretty goofy/annoying (sorry, but it's true) when she's tired, so I try to get us home and her into bed as soon as humanly possible.  Today, on the ride home, after I told her we were going home to take a nap, she said, "I can't wait."  Ha!

When I picked Lorelei up at the CDC, she was sitting on the floor with her back to me, playing with something.  I realized it was someone else's pacifier...sheesh.  No wonder she was running a fever last week!  She doesn't nap well at the CDC, so as soon as we got home I put her down for a nap.  She slept until 4:40 p.m.

Chet arrived home from work about 3:15 p.m., at which point I left for the grocery store.  (Apparently my family was expecting to eat dinner tonight...and every other night...  I'm still working on meal planning.)

We ate dinner, and Chet took the girls in the backyard while I cleaned up.  They weren't out there long; it was only 88 degrees, but horribly humid.  Poor things.

We received a HUGE box of baby clothes from my sister-in-law today, passed down to Lorelei.  I thought it would be fun for us to sort through them together since it was too hot to play outside.  It was fun for a while...then the girls decided they needed a change of scenery, so we had to put the clothes sorting on hold.  These pictures were taken AFTER they decided they needed a change of scenery, hence the stressed-out look on Lorelei's face.

Sydney is patting Lorelei's head in an attempt to soothe her.  And Sydney is wearing a size 18-month outfit from the box (somehow it fit her, Jenni!).

By this time is was cool enough outside to take a walk, so we did.  Just a short one, around the neighborhood.  Lorelei rode in the umbrella stroller and Sydney walked/touched everything on the ground.  Then it was back inside for baths and the bedtime routine.  And now here I sit.

Some things I pondered today:
1. It is exhausting to "shush" Sydney every 6 seconds while Lorelei tries to nap upstairs.  (Our house has terrible acoustics, and every little sound travels straight up the stairs.)  I'm not necessarily a proponent of silence while babies sleep, but Lorelei is not the best napper, so I feel like I have to do what I can to "help" her nap as long as possible.  I feel a little sorry for Sydney while Lorelei naps...but it is better to let Sydney be as loud as she wants, which will prevent Lorelei from getting the rest she needs?  Who knows.
2. Sydney recently started saying something that sounds like this: "I need-a-want why-coffee."  We have no idea what she's talking about.  She's been saying it for a couple of weeks now, and Chet and I cannot figure it out.  We think she's asking for coffee...but then we wonder if she's getting confused and meshing our last name with the word "coffee".  We even gave her a taste of (decaf) coffee on Sunday in an attempt to get to her quit asking for it...but it didn't work.

That is all.  My brain is tired, and I should go to bed right this second.  Instead, I will join Chet in the living room and probably turn on "Army Wives"...


Casey said...

1. Are you still nursing?
2. LOVE the picture of Chet and Lorelei!
3. It would be extremely frustrating to me not to be able to see what goes on in the dance class! I watch cori @ gymnastics so we can practice when we get home. I guess they are preventing the "over achiever" mom scenario, but seriously - that's annoying.
4. I LOVE hand me downs!
5. You should get a fan or a sound machine (that plays white noise) to put in L's room when she naps!! It seriously drowns out every noise from outside of the room. Syd could be as loud and expressive as you can handle! (works for Levi as he's napping and Cori is in and out of her room and bathroom that is right next to his room)
6. I've said "I need-a-want why-coffee" about 25 times trying to figure out what she's saying. You'll figure it out soon and it will be something hilarious like Wubbie, or Wuppie! I still love when Cori messes words up and I never correct her. Like when she says "Turn on my regu shows" (turn on my regular show)

Chet and Ashley said...

1. Yes, I'm still nursing.
2. Thank you!
3. I know! How am I supposed to know whether or not she's just standing there, watching the other kids dance? I do, however, think the studio would let me know if she's not ready to take a class yet. I suppose no news is good news!
4. Me too! Lorelei almost never gets new clothes, but Sydney's clothes and my niece's clothes are so well taken care of that it doesn't really matter!
5. We DO have a sound machine (in both of their rooms)! I have it on the "Waterfall" setting, so it's constant white noise, and I have it turned up pretty loud. I really think it's the house. The whole downstairs is tiled, the stairs are wood, the upstairs landing is tiled, and the carpet in the bedrooms is SUPER thin. The walls are also super thin, so no matter what you do, most sound carries right up the stairs. Blah!
6. I don't know if she even knows what she's saying. I think she just like the way it sounds! I love how Cori says "concuter."

Jen said...

Aawwee!! Lol I love seeing all the clothes scattered all over the room AND the girls! :o) And those Jammie's look cute on Syd! Haha! I am seriously so glad I can pass them to you!!! ❤