Saturday, November 2, 2019

Soccer

Today I'm thankful for Sydney's soccer league. Sydney plays through a program called i9 Sports, and while it it not a perfect program, it is currently perfect for us.

Like most American parents, I have to fight against the urge to make sure my kids are ALWAYS EXCELLING (!!!) at whatever they participate in. Part of that is due to my (sometimes overbearing) personality, but it's also most definitely an American problem.

This sports program has allowed Sydney to have fun playing soccer without it taking over our lives. Is she getting the very best coaching the state of Mississippis has to offer? No. Does she NEED the very best coaching the state of Mississippi has to offer? Nope. Is it far more important for her mother to be nice and calm because she has a manageable schedule? YES.

Despite touting all this wisdom about youth sports, I still have to remind myself almost daily that it really is okay if there are better programs out there that we're not participating in. Again, this is mostly a (my) personality problem. So in addition to being thankful for i9 Sports, I'm also thankful I have a healthy family and that we live in a country where worrying about soccer programs is a thing. Lord, help me keep things in perspective.

Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!